Wind storms can come through an area and cause a significant amount of damage to structures. Storm damage in general, whether it is from falling tree branches or downed power lines, can leave you with a number of problems and security risks. The good news is your home insurance policy may help you to overcome some of the losses you are experiencing as a result of this type of damage. However, it is very important for you to take steps to minimize risks and to get the coverage you need.
Home insurance policies differ. It is important for you to verify the information on your existing policy to ensure you know what is covered and what may not be. Ultimately, you may need to add on additional coverage or modify your policy to ensure it has ample protection for storm-related damage. Most of the time, your home will be covered for damage such as the following:
- Damage to the structure of the home, such as from falling trees or removed roofing
- Damage to other structures on your property, such as a swimming pool, deck or garage
- Damage or replacement of items within your home
- Help for cleanup, removal of debris and rebuilding as needed
- Medical payments associated with third parties
- Personal liability coverage to protect third parties
- Financial support to cover your living accommodations if you cannot live in your home
If an incident occurs, such as a powerful windstorm or other type of damage, call your home insurance company directly. Your agent will then contact you to schedule a consultation and inspection. In most cases, you will be able to get the financial support you need to make repairs and upgrades associated with the covered losses right away. Nevertheless, you should also take steps to be protective. Don't assume your damage is covered. Take photos, document what happened and other details related to other people who are involved.
Storm damage can make significant changes to your property at a moment's notice. Luckily, your home insurance can remain in place to help cover some of those financial losses. Be sure your policy offers enough coverage to meet your needs.
We’ve got you covered. Call Mitchell & Mitchell Insurance Agency at (888) 512-8878 for more information on Los Angeles home insurance.